Kernel Installation Options - Quick Poll

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 07:06:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:04:56 -0400, Davis Johnson <davis at frizzen.com> wrote:
> I'd go with the third, a strong preference.

It occurred to me the other day that there are two distinct times
where this question becomes an issue - first is an upgrade of a
running system, the second is during a full system upgrade/install.

In the first case, I think you're dead right. For starters, it can be
assumed that the system already actually boots, and messing with that
is a bit stupid.

In the latter case though, I think some sort of reasonable defaults
are called for. aboot.conf should probably be replaced/installed with
some reasonable defaults to match the kernel being dropped onto the
system by the installer.

(I've been thinking about this _way_ too much, considering I've barely
got Anaconda running in a boot-disc-like environment so far.)

The question remains as to whether "fixing" SRM to match the installed
system can be done reliably. It's all pretty academic right now,
anyway. :)