Kernel Installation Options - Quick Poll

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 09:34:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:09:08 -0400, Balint Cristian <rezso at rdsor.ro> wrote:
>         I fail to get a good mkinitrd wich can modify entries in aboot.conf
> and to fix it will take to write new routines in mkinitrd/grubby source but have a final solution for that problem
> until will fix it totaly:

Ahh, just had a poke through the %post section of the kernel. The
new-kernel-pkg script does all that stuff - well, with a little help.
:)

Shouldn't be _too_ hard to knock something up.

> Distro come with a default aboot.conf wich has a default 1:/boot/vmlinuz initrd=/boot/initrd.img root=....
>         Whenever a kernel is instaled it will create symlink for new vmlinuz and new initrd.img symlink, need to modify
> kernel.spec post/pre for do this for alphas.

Actually, the Kernel %post shouldn't need to be touched at all, just
the new-kernel-pkg script installed as part of mkinitrd.

I'd rather steer away from the symlink bit, actually. It's not
consistent with what Fedora Core does on x86 (my knowledge of it on
other architectures is limited, I admit) and it still runs into the
issue of setting a newly installed kernel as a default.

Actually, this is a bit of a gripe I have on x86 as well - at some
point new kernels started getting set in Grub to boot by default when
installed. I'm pretty sure this never used to happen. I like the idea
of setting them up to be bootable, but not making them the default on
the next boot.

I'll take a look through the other systems' scripts when I next get a
chance. Shouldn't be too hard to fish out the first valid line in
aboot.conf, duplicate it with the new kernel's version numbers, and
add it to the next available slot.

>         Mike, as you told me have few issues with my 2.6.4 kernel so right now i am rebuilding latest FC3-devel kernel,
> i need to figure out a best possible 2.6 kernel for the distro.

I've got a clean build of the latest 2.6.6 FC2 errata kernel up and
running on my system. I've built the SMP kernel too, but don't have
anything to test it on right now. I was going to use that one with the
ISOs I'm putting together. Seems pretty stable on my system so far.
Even got DRI up and running with my Radeon, which was giving me some
troubles under the 2.6.4 I was running previously.

I'll see if I can get my new Kernel RPMs uploaded to the FTP site this
evening (damned 128k upstream at home - a couple of times I've just
dumped new files on my iPod and driven over to work with it - much
faster).