Best XF86 version?

Kelledin kelledin+AXP at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 9 03:26:02 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 03:45 pm, Allen Ziegenfus wrote:
> > What is list experience with recent versions of XF86?  Are
> > there versions to avoid?  Is my 4.3 version gonna blow up?
> > Are there better Xservers for the XP/PWS series machines?
>
> I use 4.3.0 on my PC164LX with a Matrox Millenium card. I
> have one main problem in that the x server won't return back
> to text mode after trying to exit. I think someone said this
> problem is fixed in 4.4.0. Other than that everything is fine.

Myself I use 4.3.0 on my PC164LX with a Radeon 7500 of unknown
brand (maybe original ATI, maybe not).  The XFree86 ATI driver
lacks a few of the acceleration features I'm used to (OpenGL
hardware T&L isn't supported yet, and AA fonts seem to slow
things down a lot).  It also has a problem with horizontal
tearing when the framebuffer gets really active--in my vidcard
experience this is generally due to framebuffer writes stomping
on vsync.  I saw a patch addressing this issue ("video bandwidth
calculation") go into XFree86-CVS several months ago, and I
expect it's in 4.4.0.

Before I had the Radeon, I had an S3 Trio64 piece of garbage (a
lot of white-box Alpha systems have these).  Presumably Tru64
works well on S3 cards, but XFree86 4.x support for these cards
sucks miserably.  In my case it had a lot of "snow" on the
display and frequently locked up the system.  Replacing it with
the Radeon fixed all that.

So really, it comes down to which card you get more than which
XFree86 you use.  I tend to recommend either ATI (Radeon 7500
seems the least risky) or Matrox cards.  3Dfx Voodoo3/4/5 also
work well.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"