Alpha Core and AS 1200 Install ERRORS...

Sidney A. Hawks shawks at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 05:15:15 UTC 2004

Gentlemen,

I have an Alpha Server 1200 5/533 EV56 with dual Alpha Processors and 768 MB
memory.  Redhat 7.2 installs without any issues after I updated the DAC960
raid card. I have/had (some/average) experience with Linux OS's over the
years but I can't fiqure out the problem I'm having with the Alpha Core
Install and thought I'd give you a chance.

The install process begins normally goes past the PAL code process, Loads
the kernel and then I get the following screen:
PS: I have no way to capture screen output so I have to keep switching
buttons on my masterview kvm switch, But it is word for word.

P000>boot dka500

Initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary cpu
jumping to bootstrap code
aboot: linux alpha SRM bootloader version 0.9b
aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.23
aboot: booting from device 'SCSI  1 1 0 5 500 6000 11000'
aboot: no disklabel found
iso: max size 307827 log zone size:2048
iso: first datazone:28  root inode number 57344
aboot: loading compressed /kernels/vmlinux.gz...
aboot: zero-filling 335640 bytes at )xfffffc000079baa8
aboot: loading initrd (4667345 bytes/4557 blocks) at )xfffffc004f9f8000
aboot: starting /kernels/vmlinux.gz  with arguments

halted CPU 0

halt code=7
machine check while in PAL mode
PC = 16d5c

Your system has halted due to an unrecoverable error. Record the error halt
code and PC and contact your digital services rep. In addition type INFO 3
and INFO 8 at the console and record the results.
boot failure
P000>

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.