Server 5300 issues

blstuart at bellsouth.net blstuart at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 25 20:42:56 UTC 2004

I seem to have had trouble subscribing when I tried to
post this earlier.  Let's try again.

I'm now the proud new owner of a Digital Server 5000 series
with 2 533 MHz processors but no memory.  All of the memory
I've tried so far has failed to work.  I'm geting a couple
of errors during the power-on self-tests:

P0 FAIL 91 MEM3*
P0 FAIL 23 MEM0*

On the one hand, it's not too surprising if I need to break
down and buy some memory from someone who advertises that
their's works in this machine.  But before I do, there are
a couple of things that are nagging me a bit.  First, what
is test 91?  I haven't found it mentioned in the documentation.
Also, why would it give an error for bank 3 when bank 0 is
the only one I have memory in?  Finally, I'm not getting any
output on a serial console at all.  If I read the documentation
correctly, I should see some output even if it's only getting
throught the SCONS tests.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?  Is this really just
a memory problem and should I break down and buy the "special"
memory?  Or do I have something more serious going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Brian L. Stuart