All this Fedora business...

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 11:56:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:16:47 -0400, Jeff A.
<jeff.abell at intnlsoftwareproducts.com> wrote:
> Is this "Fedora" software THE thing I should run?  I have a 164SX with a 533
> 21164PC, using the AlphaBIOS.  Of course I've run NT4, but the only other
> thing I've been able to get to work (somewhat) is SuSE 8.1... not quite
> right, either.

Just to pick out that one point of yours - I'd say the Alpha (Fedora)
Core distribution is not ready for the relative newbie at this time.
It's still largely untested and potentially broken.

If you're curious and want to play around, I'd suggest Red Hat 7.2 as
a pretty stable starting point - no shortage of people on this list
who'll help you get up and running. It won't look as pretty, but it's
pretty stable and mature these days.

You'll be able to upgrade it to Alpha Core later, once we shake some
more bugs out of the system. It'll get there, but it's likely to be a
terribly frustrating experience right now.