AC-0.9 Testing Results (was: Re: Alpha Core ISO Images)

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Oct 15 22:29:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 05:12:59PM -0500, Richard Irving wrote:

>    Add AS5300 to that...  :(

Yes, that's just the "White Box" equivalent of AS1200...

>    I still haven't gotten around to working on troubleshooting that...

I built a generic SMP kernel (2.6.6-1.435icbinu3) that DID boot on
AS1200; I had to build in the SCSI subsystem and drivers to get rid of
the (current) module loading problem, and it did throw a SLEW of
machine checks during boot, but it reached multi-user and seemed fine
(for the short time I was running it).

>    But, I -did- get the latest GCC/LD/AS entire suite to compile....
>
>    I did the Nautilus thing, compile one, compile the next, compile
>    the third, use the new versions to recompile the first,then the new
>    one to recompile the second, then recompile the libs, and
>    start the next bootstrap loop... ad nauseum.
>
>     C, C++, Java, etc... have all been recompiled.. with processor
>    specific flags passed to the assembler.
>
>    Things are -much- ... Hrmmm... Snappier/Smoother,  now.  :)

THAT"S GREAT!

One of my observations about the current AC-0.9 was that most things
(Xserver and compilation :-) felt "sluggish" when compared against a
2.6.7 kernel running on top of RH 7.2 for Alpha. Couldn't explain it,
but perhaps it's just general compiler sloppiness... ???

>    Anyone looking for a boost to their system.... I recommend it.

Please let use know the details.

>   Reason... I am hoping to be able to compile a modern boot kernel
>   to solve the aforementioned problem.
>
>    Of course, it could be the actual code... Debians Sarge,
>    2.4.xx based kernel works.. but, the 2.6 does the same basic
>    thing,  IOD errors.

It MAY solve the module loading problem also; at least we can hope.

VERY MUCH worth a try...

Thanks, and good luck!

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com