AC-0.9 Testing Results

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Wed Oct 20 12:30:16 UTC 2004

Buck Rekow wrote:

> Someone want to help build slack ten for alpha?

Absolutly.

I've been running Slackware on Intel since it installed somthing like a
1.2.9 kernel. I've been running the, now abandoned, Slackware Alpha port
on my Alpha all along.

Arround Slackware 9.0 things started to get a bit too far behind for me,
and  some packages were just missing from the Alpha port. I started
rebuilding packages for Alpha, and doing piecemeal replacements on my
system. I got to the point where I had a good percentage of the A, AP
and D sets rebuilt. Of course what I realy wanted to do is rebuild the
entire distribution. I began to run into problems with build order for
some packages, particularly involving shared libraries.

While researching the build order issues and particularly how to get
glibc rebuilt and in use I found Linux From Scratch (LFS). LFS has a
roadmap for how to build a temporary toolchain and rebuild a
distribution from source.

My current plan is to follow the LFS roadmap but with Slackware 10
sources and Slackbuild scripts. I currently have the temporary tool
chain built and am getting ready to start building packages. Once I have
a critical mass of packages I'll start working on the instalation ramdisk.

It is interesting to note that the Slackware 10 Slackbuild scripts are
much more portable.