Slackware 10.0

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Oct 21 04:15:56 UTC 2004

This deserves a better reply than I have time for at the moment.

> which alpha are you on?  i've got a broadband connected 164 ready to
> compile.

I'm somewhat limited hardware wise, an AlphaStation 200/166 (166Mhz
EV45) with 416 MB ram. Basicly salvage, but it gets the job done. I
don't realy mind doing multi-day build runs. That encourages having a
script for EVERYTHING, I like to have repeatable build processes. This
also gives me time for important stuff like camping with the Cub Scouts.
I am looking for somthing cheep but faster. Shouldn't be that hard to
find. I also lucked into an Alphabook, and finaly have enough bits and
pieces to make it boot! Unfortunatly it isn't good for much.

> you actually managed to find slack alpha?

I downloaded it (wget) from slackware.com shortly after they announced
the cancelation of the Alpha port. There is a possibility they did a
little more work after I grabbed it. It's hard to stop working on an
alpha. It was one big tree, I split it into three ISOs myself. I have
done some googleing arround for somthing newer, so I think it is a bit
hard to find. I'd be happy to send you a copy.

> i've run slack since release 3.? with kernel 1.2.13.
>
> I've got debian on both my alphas, and all it really succeeds in doing
> is ticking me off. can't get ccc or cxx to work.. about half the
> packages are broken and the gcc 2.95.3 supplied is broken.

I've had realy bad fights with the debian installer, never got arround
to actualy trying to use it.

> it may be high time to fix a few slackware annoyances  with  this..
> like the daylight savings time bug, where it changes the time, but
> resets to the previous setting after reboot. Or the fact that all of
> the client and server packages for software are bundled together. i
> don't like installing a copy of ntpd on my machine if all i want to do
> is sync off an ntp server.  Or the classic "hit ctrl+d to continue
> with normal startup" and then the damn thing reboots.
> I've also found a more efficient way to load rc.modules. have it in a
> directory by kernel version so now you can have multiple kernels with
> no modtroubles. so instead of loading etc/rc.d/rc.modules it loads
> /etc/rc.d/`uname -r`/rc.modules ...i think that's how i did it...

I'd like to see pkgtool have an expert mode like the installer. I've
been using pkgtool a lot lately when replacing original packages with
rebuilt ones.

Feeding general improvements back to daddy slackware may get us some
alpha bits back in. If you haven't looked at the 10.0 slackbuild scripts
you may be in for a pleasent suprise. They are actualy set up for
building for other than i386.

I'm also rebuilding on Sparc and Intel as I go to make sure all is
portable. It realy isn't that much extra effort - I just run the same
scripts on all three boxes.

> hey, if we get this thing to work, we might even see about an iso.
> Also, do you know anyone who can write slackbuild scripts or make
> slack packages? there was a howto at one time, but it really didn't
> say much. there are some packages distinctly missing from slackware.
> like libnet, and arping for instance, and in the alpha ver, it may
> make sense to see if we can build an installer for ccc and cxx that
> works.   I've also been toying with the idea of possibly rendering the
> whole thing as a set of .debs so one can dist-upgrade to slackware.

Right now I think I'd settle for it working as-is.