KZPEA bios?

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed Oct 27 15:03:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:49:35PM -0600, Buck Rekow wrote:

> does anyone know what 64 bit pci multi channel scsi controller is
> supported by both srm on PC164 and VMS?

None, I'm afraid, if you're talking about a true PC164, aka AlphaPC164,
and not one of the later LX or SX models.

The latest SRM console on a PC164 is V5.5, which is too old to have
the newer drivers necessary for any Adaptecs or later NCR/Symbios.

The last LX and SX SRM consoles were V5.8 (IIRC), and were lucky to
get the Adaptec drivers (covering 2940UW and 39160) which were being
put into SRM specifically for the EV6-based machines.

I tried the following controllers on PC164 and had NO LUCK:

	Adaptec 2940UW
	Adaptec 39160

	Symbios 895 (and by inference 896)

	Mylex DAC1164P

(The only QLogic SCSI controllers I've seen around are 1020 or 1040
based ones, and highly doubt such as 1080 or 1280 are supported)

My suggestion is to forgo the 64-bit requirement, and choose something
along the lines of the KZPCM, which is also known as the IntraServer
Technology 4280UE-4; this has 2 NCR875 SCSI channels (limited to Ultra
speed) and a TULIP 21140 behind a PCI-PCI bridge, and requires only
one slot. It works well from SRM console (both disk and net boots),
and is most likely supported by Tru64 and VMS as well as Linux.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com