AC-0.9 Testing Results (was: Re: Alpha Core ISO Images)

Stephen Lewis lewis at napanet.net
Fri Oct 29 07:28:10 UTC 2004

I can report successful install of Alpha Core 0.9 on API CS20 (single CPU only)
on a machine with no video card.

Well done to all who worked on this!

Comments:
I did a kickstart NFS install from the commandline and began with a kickstart file
that did work with HPQ RH 7.2.

Using Alpha Core CD1:
aboot> i /images/cdrom.img
aboot> b /kernels/vmlinux.gz console=ttyS0 ks=nfs:10.0.0.4:/export/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0

It fails because autopartitioning (as reported to the list) begins at cylinder 1
HPQ RH 7.2 is smart enough to begin at cylinder 2 which means this problem has
been solved and the code exists (in anaconda? or some script?) If I partition the
disk by hand and use the "--onpart" option in kickstart file I can make the
whole operation do a clean install. I can now run "system-config-kickstart" and
generate the file that I needed to begin this process :-) but Alpha is not one of
the choices for platform :-(
I added 'swriteboot /dev/sda /boot/bootlx' and started sshd in %post section
and that all worked so I can log in over the network and display to a remote X server.

My wishlist is this:
fix autopartition to begin at cylinder 2
add this choice to 'aboot.conf' "/kernels/vmlinux.gz console=ttyS0 rescue" because
    even if there is no video card it doesn't default to ttyS0
add 'fdisk' as a button to the partitioning screen (as was in RH 7.2) because my
    serial terminal is a VT100 and has neither an "Alt" nor "F2" key :-/

all in all a darn good job, thanks to everyone incolved,
Stephen Lewis