Largest IDE hard drive supported by internal connector

Ted Goodridge, Jr. tedgoodridgejr at acm.org
Thu Sep 16 13:40:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:31:37 +0200 (CEST), Bert de Bruijn
<bob at ccl.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Ted Goodridge, Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:33:16 -0400, Davis Johnson <davis at frizzen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I rather suspect that larger disks will work just fine,  but that you
>>> will need to keep anything that the bios needs to access, that is
>>> anything needed at boot time, close enough to the front of the disk
>>> for the bios to find.
>>
>> That makes absolutely no sense.  The kernel and ide driver get the disk
>> geometry from the bios.
>
> Get a HD, define it in the BIOS, install Linux on it. Add a HD, DON'T
> define it in the bios, and boot Linux. Linux will happily see the second
> drive and work with it. Only the BIOS (and the bootloader which uses the
> BIOS disk access functions) doesn't.

The original question was what was the size limitation for this specific
and non-standard controller on the multia...and we got sidetracked.
Thanks for the info though.  I still think that if your hard drive is
unrecognizable to the hardware itself (which is not what I said originally
I know, I was wrong about that) it doesn't matter what the OS can do.

Ted