open3D license

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Sep 17 19:26:39 UTC 2004

On 17 Sep, 2004, at 10:33, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> The Open 3D license keys into the Tru64 license manager utility and
> allows use
> of 3D in some of the Powerstorm video cards.  I've got one that came
> with an
> old DEC3000, but don't really use the 3D feature.  I've never heard of
> hobbyist license for Open3D, but for "a fee" HP will transfer an old
> license
> to your name.  Unless you are doing commercial work and have a
> business to
> protect, though, it doesn't make much sense to do that.
>
> As far as the VX1 goes, I'm not certain about its 3D capabilities,
> butif you
> are running it under Linux, that's where you will find your drivers.
>
> BTW the VX1 is a great Alpha video card and will run under all the
> Alpha OSes
> except NT and Windows 2000.

As I recall, the old Powerstorm cards won't work without the license
key -- in any mode.

And for whatever reason, we were never able to get Compaq and Evans and
Sutherland (the original manufacture of the cards) to release the
drivers or the licenses for the Hobbyist License. [Although it appears
that you can now download the drivers from Compaq. ... depends on which
card you have and which OS version. This is the 300 and 350.

http://www.support.compaq.com/open3d/swps3x0.htm

These cards were all replaced by the ELSA GLoria video cards.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com