Largest IDE hard drive supported by internal connector

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sun Sep 19 15:28:43 UTC 2004

With regards to your message at 01:54 AM 9/19/04, Daniel Potts. Where you
stated:
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Maurice Hilarius wrote:
>
>>With regards to your message at 07:22 PM 9/15/04, Ted Goodridge, Jr..
>>Where you stated:

>>>  I'm seeing a lot of drives on ebay listed as 2.1Gig...could you narrow
>>>down that limit better?  (Advertised sizes don't always equal bios sizes)
>>>Ted
>>

>>You can put in larger, but you will only be able to address 2GB, I believe..
>>Of course, once you have Linux up, you can get at the rest, at least up
>>to 128GB.
>>The first partition you boot from has to be no larger than 2GB.
>>
>>It's a BIOS limitation.
>
>Hi,
>
>This is probably correct. In my multia I have a 2.5" IDE disk that is
>3.0GB in size. Linux (and MILO) recognises it fine. I never noticed any
>problems with AlphaBIOS, however the boot partition (FAT formatted) is
>small and at the start of the disk. Note that SRM on Multia does not
>support IDE.
Gee, that is nice that it is "probably" correct.
We have sold over 200 Multias back when DEC was surplusing them.
Almost all had to have disk added.
We have sold over 2,000 FC-530 cables, which we have made specifically for
the application of 2.5" IDE drives in the Multia/UDB.
And, yes, you can also put a 3.5" drive in one, assuming you have the
special bracket required, which are rare as hens teeth.

>Ted, to answer your second question: If you get a normal (3 inch?) drive
>you can purchase a 2.5" <-> normal connector. For the laptop drive, a
>standard straight-through cable should work fine.. (I had to shave the
>edges off mine to get it to fit from memory.. I probably used an existing
>mini-scsi?? cable that was in the case :)

Mini IDE to regular IDE adaptors are also available,
But where do you put the drive?

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3