Alpha Core ISO Images

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:59:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:04:09 -0400, Jay Estabrook <jay.estabrook at hp.com> wrote:
> OK, the kernel will make LEGACY_START_ADDRESS known in its messages if
> it is configured, and this one does, so the current install kernel
> will NOT work on DS15/DS25/ES45/MARVEL.

OK - so if that option is changed, is there any effect on the other
systems? I'd love to get a generic kernel that'll fire up on any
system.

Any suggestions welcome for tweaking the kernel config for maximum
compatibility. I've popped the current .config from the Kernel SRPM up
at:
ftp://ftp.maths.monash.edu.au/pub/alphacore/kernel-2.6.6-alpha.config

There's an awful lot of room for improvement in there, I know.

In this case, will disabling CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS have
any negative effect on anything? Anyone? If we need to provide
multiple kernel packages, it could get messy, but I'm sure a solution
could be found.