Waxing Philosophical

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Wed Sep 29 20:19:06 UTC 2004

Eugene Chu wrote:
> I started using Alphas in our project for number crunching type apps, and
> they were much better than the x86 platforms of the time.  Unfortunately,
> the rest of the industry seemed to think that it was a dead platform,
> so there was very little support of commercial software.  It became a
> self-fulfilling prophecy; the lack of support made the platform less
> useful, which accelerated its demise.
>
> We are now running Opterons for this reason.  It's important to be able
> to get support for certain functionality; home-grown only takes you so
> far.
>
> eyc

   Couldn't find any open-source Unix apps ?  ;)

   And BTW, did you know that AMD's Opteron, and Athlon
  line were based upon designs that the Alpha Team Sold to them,
  as Compaq acquired Digital, and gave them the boot  ?

   So much so, the original Athlons Chips came
   with an EV6 DIGITAL BUS based architecture!

   "The King is Dead, Long Live the King!"

    http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/athlon-1ghz.htm