Waxing Philosophical

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Wed Sep 29 21:18:15 UTC 2004

Eugene Chu wrote:
> Richard Irving wrote:
>
>>Couldn't find any open-source Unix apps ?  ;)
>
> Three major tools we use:
>
> - RSInc's IDL:  Globetrotter refused to port their license manager to
> Alpha Linux platform

  Oh... -Application- dependency.

   To Quote "Bill the Cat"

     *  Ack  *

     *  Phough *

> - Rational Clearcase:  "What's Alpha?"
>
> - Oracle:  Maybe on Tru64
>
> We may have been able to find open source solutions for the last two,
> but our collaborators around the world use IDL, so there really is no
> easy replacement for it.

   Not an uncommon story.

    We used to say that a lot, before the days of Open Source movement.

   The Windows people -still- say it when referencing, for example, Word, but
  OpenOffice was born to shut down -that- argument....

   So, then they jumped on Outlook, and its Calendar,
   as basis of the same argument.

   So, the iCal specification was born.

   :)

  * ack *

  * Phough *

> Oh, did I mention that the prices of the Alpha systems were about 5X
> the x86 systems?  Yes, they were high performance, but they weren't
> THAT high performance.

   Checked Ebay recently ?

   For 5000.00 US I can get a 4 Processor ES40.

   I am waiting for a GS120 for 10,000.00 and then I buy!

> It's wonderful that some of that technology survives in newer products,
> but it's long past time to move on to the new products.
>
> eyc

   "The King is Dead, long live the King"

    ;)

   " EV7's are cool! "

   "The epidemiology of Windows and Intel, rivals the movie "28 Days Later",
  with much of the same results.... mindless things running around everywhere,
   acting as though they -really- have awareness."

    :P