aboot not working or something

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Mon Apr 4 19:05:51 UTC 2005

Bryan Dina wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 21:12 +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Bryan Dina wrote:
>>

>>>I am installing AlphaCore 0.9 on an AlphaStation 200 4/166.  The install
>>>seemed to go okay, 2 things to note, I received a warning when
>>>partitioning the drive, I went with auto-partition for ease in
>>>installation, it warned about /boot not having enough space.  The next
>>>problem happened when performing the post-installation, the system hung
>>>at 50% for an extended period of time, I switched virtual-terminals and
>>>ran top to notice modprobe was running, in a loop incrementing the
>>>pid... at about 25% CPU... I assumed it was continually invoking to
>>>probe "devices" I guess.. anyway, that finally finished, and I went to
>>>boot the system, no-go.  I figured that something messed up with aboot,
>>>possible related to the partitioning warning.... however I do not know
>>>anything about aboot.... so I am trying to learn.  I have booted back
>>>off the CD into rescue, I have the installed system mounted... any
>>>ideas???
>>>

>>To use "autopartitioning" was a bad idea. :) Unfortunatelly, it is
>>know-how how to install linux on alpha using aboot loader.
>>You have to partition your drive manually using "fdisk" from one of
>>consoles. You have to leave some free space at the beginning of hard
>>drive for aboot loader. Good practice to create a first partition from
>>the second cylinder.
>>Another thing to mention - fdisk should create BSD type partition table.
>>

>Hmm, disk druid will not play nicely with me, I cannot seem to offset
>the /boot partition for the aboot software at the beginning of the disk.
>I also can not seem to even create an "empty" space on the drive
>anywhere...

You have to switch to shell prompt and use "fdisk" command just before
disk partitioning (not disk druid).
In fdisk, you have to use "bsd" mode. If your disk is partitioned with
DOS partition table type - you would have to
delete everything, then create new bsd disklabel (you might need to
clean zero out first drive sector), then create partitions.

>any help would be greatly appreciated... I am not new to Linux, just
>Linux on the Alpha.

Well, there are some specifics. :)