AlphaPC 164LX & SRM (again)

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Apr 6 15:19:11 UTC 2005

Hoover, Tony wrote:

>Are you following the instructions at:
>ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164lx.html

Yes, I tried that. It reboot the machine into SRM (special mode) where I
could do "update", but it complains that
I am missing something (nt_fw). The "verify" command gives the same error.
I could flash .rom file from AlphaBIOS update - it reads the file and
tells me that it is SRM ... blah, blah ...
It flashes it, but then I try to reboot - it goes to loop saying about
machine check.
I found a safe way - use safe boot loader to load SRM .rom file from the
floppy (this is how I restored my AlphaBIOS - thanks Digital). It works
only if I leave only video card ("show config", "show *" commands give
correct info).
I am not sure - are those two .ROM files intended for the same machine?
Is my machine capable of running SRM by design? (I hope so)

Unfortunatelly, PAL code in MILO is missing support for oprofile. :(

Thank you,

--
---
Sergey Tikhonov