AlphaPC 164LX & SRM (again)

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Thu Apr 14 15:59:39 UTC 2005

Hello,

Jay Estabrook wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:20:52AM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>

>>Could be the following message in /var/log/messages:
>>kernel: pci: passed pte write cache snoop test
>>kernel: pci: failed valid tag invalid pte reload test (mcheck;
>>workaround enabled)
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>kernel: pci: tbia workaround enabled
>>
>>give an explanation of the problem I have with SRM on my LX164 machine?
>>

>Somewhat unlikely, as that's a message that one sees on any LX; it
>indicates a weakness of the PYXIS core-logic chipset used there (it
>also shows up on MIATAs).

I tried to disconnect SCSI controller (actually I just disconnected scsi
disk) and try to boot from ide disks.
The SRM loaded without problems.
Linux started to complain about dma problems and lost interrupt during
ide initialization and hang on initialization of
ncr825 adapter. Could it shed some lights on why SRM could crash when
scsi disk is connected and srm is trying to reset scsi bus? Same problem
when it tries to access floppy.
I am supprised how different srm and alphabios in terms of initializing
and handling of the same hardware.
May be there is some undocumented command that I could use to switch off
srm turbo mode? :)

Thank you,

PS. The memory I am using is:

    * Manufactured to the highest standards by MSC
      <http://www.msc-ge.com/e/wir/index.html>
    * Hyundai RAM chips
    * SPD - allows the BIOS to detect the memory type
    * Gold Pins - high quality
    * 3.3V
    * Double Sided - 18 chips (9 per side)
    * Unbuffered memory (not registered)