Another test iso image from AC1.0

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 16 00:44:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Cristian is busy again and I allowed myself to build his latest kernel src
> rpm.
> Here is another "quick boot" test iso image from AC1.0:
> ftp://ftp.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/1.0a/test/ac1-qboot1.iso
>
> It contains latest updates to kernel done by Cristian and should be able to
> boot on all srm machines
> (LEGACY_ADDRESS is switched off and kernel has video code from Jay). I hope
> BIG Alphas could (should)
> boot it too.
>
> Please, post your test results.

Boots on a dual-CPU DP264.  Seems to probe things properly and gets to the
installation GUI.  However, video is "funny".  I'm running an old S3
Trio64 PCI adapter, and the display gets snowy when the mouse is moved.
Worse, once it gets to the X display I cannot recover the text console.
After switching it shows a jumble of random colors.

To be fair, almost all distributions seem to have problems with the S3
card.  Can anyone recommend a PCI video adapter which will cooperate with
both Linux and Tru64 5.1B?

I'm looking forward to trying the release of AC1.0 - nice work folks!

Steve