printer probs

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Wed Apr 20 00:39:38 UTC 2005

rekow at bigskytel.com wrote:

>I've been offline a while, sorry about not being around. I just got a laserjet
>(yes an original laserjet) and I'm running it with cups... unfortunately i keep
>overflowing the onboard memory... don't know if this is an alpha specific "risc
>programs are bigger" thing or not... but does anyone know how to make cups
>buffer the job to avoid chiking the printer?

Some early laser printers could be configured without enough memory to
holde a 300dpi page image. Cups is undoubtedly treating your printer as
a graphics device and sending rasterized page images at about a megabyte
a pop to the printer. If you don't have enough memory for that it just
won't work. The printer likes to have the whole page raster in hand
before moving paper.

Such  a printer will work just fine (and probably faster too) if sent
text. PCL isn't that bad. I have a filter around here some place that I
used with the ol' BSD lpd spooler to print on a Laserjet II. It would
translate overstrikes from the man program to produce bold and
underlined and the like. I can't be the only one to write one - somebody
has certainly done a better job somewhere.

If you have at least 1mb in your printer I'm all wet.