Copy SCSI disk including, if any, the first cylinder

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Dec 17 20:37:54 UTC 2005

Bob Taylor wrote:

>I have a failing SCSI disk in my LX164. I need to copy it *totally* onto
>a SCSI disk of the same size. I know how to copy all the files but I
>don't know if there is any boot stuff located on the first cylinder
>other than the BSD label and if so, how do I copy it. Will someone help
>please? Thanks!
>
>Bob

Suppose the old disk is /dev/sda and the new disk is /dev/sdb,

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512

This would copy an NT disk, a Solaris disk, a
some-os-I've-never-heard-of-disk. You get the idea.

If you don't immediatly have a disk of the same size to copy to you can
specify of= a file on a filesystem that has enough space to hold the
entire disk image.