PWS 600au with Alpha Core

jon norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Fri Feb 4 06:28:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 15:31, Phillip G Deneault wrote:
> I've attempted to get Alpha Core .9 installed on my PWS, however after
> choosing my boot option from aboot I get the following text and then the
> install simply stops.

Dear Phillip, & list:

The PWS series can be a little cranky installing RH Linux from the
CDrom.  I've read a number of explanations and have some experience as
well.

Sometime it helps to get an old, slow CDrom drive and plug it into the
IDE cable.  This has worked well for me with a 11996-vintage Sony 8x
drive.  Your local thrift store will probably have a bin full priced
below $5.

The other alternative is a SCSI CDrom.  I got a pack of 5 68-pin Plextor
24X drives for $10.  They work well enough on a fresh install.  But on a
really iffy install, I've had the best luck with the old Sony.  And a
fresh install over a formatted hard drive is infinitely easier than an
upgrade or install over old without formatting.

Go figure.

jn