AC1.0 Kernel Sources?

Rajiv Prasad rajiv.prasad at charter.net
Thu Jun 2 03:08:32 UTC 2005

Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> rajiv.prasad at charter.net wrote:
>
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> First of all, many thanks to the AlphaCore 1.0 developers --
>> fantastic work -- Jay was right -- it was worth the wait. :-)
>>
>> I installed AC1.0 on my SX164 last week, and things are generally
>> fine.  The next step I had in mind was compiling a new kernel for my
>> SX164 to replace the generic 2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3 that is in AC1.0.
>> But I have not been able to find kernel sources on the AC1.0 ISOs.
>> Where are they?
>>

> ftp://alphalinux.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/1.0/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3.src.rpm
>

> There are other modified source packages there.
>
>> I also tried compiling vanilla 2.4.9 and 2.4.11.11 from kernel.org.
>> They compile ok (there was a gcc/ld internal error at one place
>> during the compile (make boot), if I continued make from that point
>> on, the build finished fine), but I have not been able to boot any of
>> these -- I get a "cannot open initial console" and then the system
>> hangs.
>>

> You have to compile your kernel with initrd support and create
> initital ramdisk using mkinitrd. The FC3 uses only "udev" to manage
> /dev entries. mkinitrd will put necessary "udev" files to initial
> ramdisk. You will have to add "initrd=" option to your boot command.
> For more information please refer to home page to "udev".
>
> Regards,

Thanks, Sergey.  I downloaded the kernel src.rpm from the ftp site above
and compiled it.  No trouble at all using gcc distributed with AC1.0.
After installing the kernel, I used mkinitrd to create an initrd image
and modified aboot.conf to use it.  The newly compiled kernel boots my
SX164 just fine.

Now I need to figure out why sound is not working on my machine and why
my USB to SCSI adaptor that came with an Orb drive is not being
recognized.  Both worked fine in RH7.2 -- need to do some more digging...

Thanks again.

Rajiv