more AC1 install problems on SX164

Bojan ÿffff8aernek sinergitized at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 12:47:43 UTC 2005

Okay, I've managed to create a BSD disklabel and
whatnot, and it seems to work beautifully during the
install. There is, I think, 7 or more megabytes of
space left before the beginning of the first
partition. aboot sees and reads this partition nicely.
The rescue variant on the first CD reads and writes to
this partition nicely. However, the kernel panicks
when trying to mount /dev/hda1 as root (untouched
aboot configuration as generated by the installer).
I've copied the kernel from the CD and used that one
but that didn't help. Both fail with an error message
about VFS not wanting to sync becouse it cannot mount
the root fs on unknown-block(3,1). I'm at a loss about
what to do now. The drive is on the 1st IDE channel
master, 20 gigabytes big and the / partition on it is
2 gigabytes big (becouse I think aboot didn't like a
20 gig partition). I also have a SCSI disk in there
dedicated for swap and another one for /home data.
/usr is the rest of the disk (18 gigs).

What can you make of this?