Waaaay OT: OpenSolaris

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Fri Jun 24 22:59:47 UTC 2005

Hoover, Tony wrote:

>Can someone tell me what advantages a "REAL" Unix kernel like OpenSolaris
>has over Linux?  Has anyone else thought of compiling OpenSolaris on Alpha?

My general experience is that Solaris is better in ways that never seem
to matter to me. Things like hot swappable processors and memory, which
I don't have the hardware for and which look like a solution looking for
a problem.

Linux is better in ways that DO matter to me, like driver and
applications availability.

Solaris is sometimes reputed to be more reliable. Where I work we have
Linux, Solaris-on-intel (a few on SPArc) and even a dwindling few SCO
openserver systems in production. For all three (yes, even SCO) the
major cause of OS downtime is annual UPS maintenance. I can't say that
any of them realy have a reliability edge.

Solaris 10 sounds like it has some nifty security features. They might
be worth a try.  Some of them might help us get away from our current
"just slap another 1U in the rack" approach to dooing things.

As far as I can tell if you want to use Solaris you are probably going
to need to install a laundry list of packages (that will all look
familiar to anybody on this list) from http://sunfreeware.com

I am not a nutral observer. There are a thousand little things I don't
like about Solaris. Most of them are extremly petty. For example, the
standard solaris tar doesn't understand any compression options, tar
-xvzf or tar -xvjf doesn't work. A great many of these issues can be
solved by instaling everything at http://sunfreeware.com , but it is
easier to just run linux if you want a GNU userspace.

What was the original question?  Yea, I thought of it briefly, no I
wasn't interested.