Why Fedora and not RHEL/CentOS?

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Wed Mar 9 16:57:12 UTC 2005

Hi!

First of all, thanks to those doing the AlphaCore port. It is about to
breathe fresh life into a couple of alphas we have here (I'm starting a
test installation on a XP1000 as we speak).

But, there is something puzzling me. What is the reasoning behind doing
the alpha port from Fedora Core instead of RHEL?

Since most alphas are now doing server stuff, following a more
server-oriented, more stable and with a longer lifespan could be a
better choice.

The port could be done, for instance, from CentOS (4.0). Are there any
reasons behind the "fedora" choice, or did it "just happened to be like
this"?

Carlos Rodrigues