2.6.10, alpha, "Relocation overflows" - .data.percpu ?

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed Mar 23 22:51:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:31:09AM +1030, David Monro wrote:
> Sudden thought - dumb question, are you using any of:
> scsi_mod.ko
> xfs.ko
> ip_conntrack.ko
> ipchains.ko
> ipfwadm.ko
> ipv6.ko
>
> as modules? Its only these 6 which are affected as far as I can tell.

Building the SMP kernel from the AC1.0a kernel SRPM
(2.6.11-1.1176axp_FC3), using the GCC compiler from AC1.0a (3.4.x
something), one ends up with (at least) a scsi_mod.ko that will not
load because of the relocation errors.

This was happening with the AC-0.9 SMP kernel as weill, IIRC.

One gets around it by building in the scsi_mod.ko, (choose CONFIG_SCSI=y
instead of CONFIG_SCSI=m).

I've not tried any of those others, but can easily believe that there
are others that exhibit the same problem, as I still some some of
those "percpu"-related messages among the normal boot stream running
the modified SMP kernel. This is in a yum-updated to AC1.0a originally
AC-0.9 XP1000 (yes, it's UP but will run the SMP kernel being tested).

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com