AC1.0 Kernel Sources?

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Tue May 31 08:29:51 UTC 2005

rajiv.prasad at charter.net wrote:

>Hi folks:
>
>First of all, many thanks to the AlphaCore 1.0 developers -- fantastic work -- Jay was right -- it was worth the wait. :-)
>
>I installed AC1.0 on my SX164 last week, and things are generally fine.  The next step I had in mind was compiling a new kernel for my SX164 to replace the generic 2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3 that is in AC1.0.  But I have not been able to find kernel sources on the AC1.0 ISOs.  Where are they?

ftp://alphalinux.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/1.0/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3.src.rpm

There are other modified source packages there.

>I also tried compiling vanilla 2.4.9 and 2.4.11.11 from kernel.org.  They compile ok (there was a gcc/ld internal error at one place during the compile (make boot), if I continued make from that point on, the build finished fine), but I have not been able to boot any of these -- I get a "cannot open initial console" and then the system hangs.

You have to compile your kernel with initrd support and create initital
ramdisk using mkinitrd. The FC3 uses only "udev" to manage /dev entries.
mkinitrd will put necessary "udev" files to initial ramdisk. You will
have to add "initrd=" option to your boot command. For more information
please refer to home page to "udev".

Regards,

--
---