CPU Arch Detection

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sat Oct 22 15:31:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:45:06PM +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:
> The snag is
> that RPM doesn't recognise alphaev6 as a suitable architecture on my
> DS10. I have to use --ignorearch.

Which architecture is considered as compatible with what and when is
spelled out in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc file. It sounds like something is
forgotten in there; although an interplay of various entries is not always
clear to me and I seem to remember that there were some 'arch_compat'
issues in the past.

This file has also the following in its header comment:

# This is a global RPM configuration file. All changes made here will
# be lost when the rpm package is upgraded. Any per-system configuration
# should be added to /etc/rpmrc, while per-user configuration should
# be added to ~/.rpmrc.

so if you are going to try some adjustments you know where to put
them. :-)  "arch_compat: alphaev6: alpha" line should do it, one would
think.

   Michal