CPU Arch Detection

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Sat Oct 22 22:41:36 UTC 2005

> I do see on EV45 machine 'alpha-redhat-linux' on my /etc/rpm/platform,
> but i don't really remember if i have tampered with it after
> installation (did install that from beta-version back Jun).

I think /etc/rpm/platform is derived from the results of uname. I'd have
to look into the RPM stuff itself to be sure - this is from memory. The
reason we got this idea was a simple compare of the results of "uname -a"
from my main server (dual Athlon). The architecture types are grouped as:
"i686 athlon i386".

On my DS10, the same fields come up as: "alpha alpha alpha". From memory
(and if anyone's got RH7.2 running on an EV6, please confirm), this used
to be "alpha alphaev6 alpha".