CPU Arch Detection

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sun Oct 23 17:54:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 09:13:24PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> I still believe that "arch_compat" macro defines upward compatibility
> and has meaning: alpha_compat: arch2: arch1 - that packages of arch1
> can be installed on arch2

s/alpha_compat/arch_compat/ if somebody got confused. :-)

This is what you can find at
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-multi-build-install-detection.html

<quote>
The names in the list are considered compatible to the name specified
in the label.

arch_compat: i586: i486
arch_compat: i486: i386
os_compat: Linux: AIX

The arch_compat lines shown above illustrate how a family of upwardly
compatible architectures may be represented. For example, if the build
architecture was defined as an i586, the compatible architectures would
be i486, and i386. However, if the build system was an i486, the only
compatible architecture would be an i386.
</quote>

and the rest of a text there for more explanations.

An example above seems to support Sergey's interpretation although
apparently this boils down to what "the build system" really means.  It
seems to be the same as "build architecture".  See if you can make head
or tail from the rest stuff on the quoted page but whatever ultimately
works...  Maybe 'arch_canon' or 'buildarchtranslate' could be used
as well?

   Michal