New AC2 release candidate - 5305

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Tue Oct 25 14:52:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:23:36PM -0400, Gary Richardson wrote:

> errors from dmesg:
>
> Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir at monad.swb.de).
> sym2: SCSI parity error detected: SCR1=132 DBC=50000000 SBCL=0
> sym0: SCSI parity error detected: SCR1=3 DBC=50000000 SBCL=0
> sym0:0:0:M_REJECT received (0:8).
> st3: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
> scsi0:A:5: unknown scsi bus phase a0, lastphase = 0xb4.
> Attempting to continue
>
> This error occurs after the console login appears so I
> think it is related to the knfsd start however I have not
> taken the time to follow up on this yet.

"knfsd" is the kernel NFS daemon, and probably not the cause...

Perhaps the SCSI bus termination is weak? Or the cable is bad?
I know, that doesn't seem likely if the older kernel works with it,
but sometimes the newer drivers are more picky... ;-}

> Since I use this primarily as a file server, samba domain
> server, internal web server for testing, etc X is to too
> important so I really did not try much but I did attempt
> to install a couple of other video cards. None managed
> to survive the boot test.

Yes, that can be a problem, though if your SRM console is very old,
the BIOS emulator in there may not be very good; version 5.8 appears
to be the last one released.

> At least with the Diamond card I have a console.  Just thought it
> would be interesting to see if it would run but I have not invested
> a lot of time trying.

If you can find a Matrox Millennium I or II, or Permedia-2 based card,
those are known to work quite well.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com