AlphaServer 400 vs. Alpha Core 1.0

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Oct 28 03:11:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:36:13PM -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:

> > With the AC2 qboot1 is the same
>
> Thanks, that saves me some time... :-)

And indeed, it saved enough... ;-}

Tracked down the problem to patches that went into 2.6.11.

Seems that early rev(s) of the NCR 810 didn't identify themselves as
PCI class SCSI but as undefined, which leads to them not being
initialized properly (because of that new code in 2.6.11).

Easiest fix is to borrow the "quirk" fixup for the chip from the
PPC or IA32 code.

Because it's only certain rev(s) of the 810 chip that exhibit this
problem, this explains why some folks have seen the problem and many
others (with later revs) have not.

The fix should go into official kernels at some future time, but the
main idea is to use this fix in updating either the AC1 or AC2 kernel.

Note again that the current CentOS-4.2 kernel does NOT have the
problem (it is based on 2.6.9), so if you are desperate... ;-}

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com