AS1000A

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Tue Sep 20 14:54:27 UTC 2005

On 09/20/2005 02:57 PM, wanderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Somebody can help with Alpha Core ( Svetlana ) in AS1000A 5/333 ?
> I would like answers for some questions :
>
> I am in help certain?
> Alpha Core is distribuition LINUX more indicated for my AS1000A?

Linux Distros that - from my experience - are working for Alpha:

RH 7.2 Alpha (and earlier)
CentOS 4.1
AlphaCore 1.0
AlphaCore Development Tree

I never _installed_ with AlphaCore, but after an upgrade the system
still ran fine... So I *guess* an install would also work...

> After boot (CDROM - dka400) I receive the following message  :
> no disklabel found
> booting from device 'scsi 0 200 0 4 400 0 0'
> I selected the option preconfigured in aboot , but after the load and unzip
> of vmlinux.gz  the AS stopped
>
> Mr.Oliver,
> I see that we have equipment the same.
> could help me?
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'll try... :-)

Hmmm. I always boot with "b dka400 -fl 0" and that works fine. If you
have a strange video-card, you may add 'text' of course...

The last thing I installed was CentOS 4.1 Beta for Alpha - which works
fine. Alpha Core is also nice; I updated for testing reasons from CentOS
4.1 Beta using yum to AlphaCore. There is also a AlphaCore development
yum repository available; Usable with yum... It's not the fastes site,
but it works (Sorry, no URL at the moment).

Are you using a serial connection or are you directly attached with
mouse, keyboard, vga? I remember there was an option in SRM that needed
to be set correctly... something with console* (try sh console*) I
believe... I wasn't using Alphas now for over a year... :-(((

Does the machine really 'STOP' - means return to SRM console, or is it
doin' nothing?

Hope that helps a bit.

Best,
  Oliver