Alpha Wiki

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Dec 18 08:47:21 UTC 2006

On 12/17/2006 08:28 AM, Mike Barnes wrote:
> Since all the cool kids have a Wiki these days ...
>
> http://alphacore.info/wiki/

Hohoho. Some x-mas present for the Alpha(Core) community. :-)

> I'm throwing this out as a last piece of thanks to the Alpha crew. I
> haven't switched on my DS10 for months, ever since I picked up an awfully
> cheap 64-bit Sempron system which I'm utterly astounded with,
> performance-wise, considering how much I paid for it.

You could send me the memory from your DS10. I have a DS10 around
without memory and cannot even switch it one; I could but wouldn't this
be very senseless? But at least my AS1000A is still running (a mix of
AlphaCore and recompiled FC/FE development rpms) - I'm wondering this
beast will never die I expect. :-)

> The big roaring blue box just doesn't have a place in my life right now. I
> guess I'm semi-retiring from Alpha development ... not that I've done much
> in the last year anyway;

Seem most good ol' alpha boys give up their work on the blue (and grey)
boxes. However it's great that there's still CentOS and AlphaCore who
maintain a stable distribution.

 > although I will keep the domain registered, and
> the sites up and hosted, by all means.

That's good enough! Thanks a lot Mike!

> The Wiki at least is a good solution to keep me from being solely
> responsible for doing updates in a timely manner. :)
>
> My initial goal is to pull most of the good stuff out of the spam-riddled
> Alpha Core Forums, and start from there. I'll put the entire thing under
> the GFDL so we can poach from Wikipedia's AXP info as a base, but we'll
> have the scope for things like giving each machine type its own article,
> which will never happen there.

Sounds good!

> This isn't intended as an Alpha Core specific thing, either. Other OS
> pages are quite welcome.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to publish some Windows NT 3.51 page
:-) I don't expect there's still some machine running it!?

> So, whether it lives and thrives, or just becomes another dusty and
> neglected site on the net, it's there. It's staying there. If anyone feels
> like playing, go for it.

We'll see...

Best,
  Oliver