Next release of AlphaCore? JUST DO IT

Alvin Starr alvin at iplink.net
Thu Feb 9 18:34:34 UTC 2006

Michael Kronsteiner wrote:

>I would like to know too, because alphacore was more for
>gamers/techies/multimediafreaks. CentOS just missed some libraries, but
>thats what you have to expect from an OS for business (its more or less
>RHEL...)
>.. and i just bought a voodoo card for my sx164...
>
>So to say, im somewhat experienced with kernel compiling and configuring
>(which seemed to be an issue for ac2.0), but im very very limited in
>hardware (2x sx164, 1xas1000, 1xas2000, various flavours of dec 3000´s ...
>[no bragging if you want one mail me])
>
>My personal thought is the alphacore developers are now working with
>centos... dont cry, as some famous sports-shoes maker said
>
>"JUST DO IT"

Would it not be worh while setting up a yum-repository that has the
extra bits/features instead of trying to support a whole other distirbution.
There are so few alpha geeks left around reinventing the wheel seems to
be a shamefull waste of resources.

But that is only my opinion.

This all being said. I do have an Alpha that I could make available to
host a repository and mirror or two. It has 30G of diskspace and I have
a couple of 100Mbit internet feeds so that a little extra load would not
be too big an issue.
I unfortunatly don't have the time to do much with it just now but if
someone wants to step up to the plate I can give them an SSH account and
the keys to run the thing.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974