Next release of AlphaCore?/What do we really need?

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Mon Feb 13 08:12:01 UTC 2006

Mike Barnes wrote:

> On 13/02/2006, at 6:44 PM, Jon_norstog AKA Thursday wrote:
>
>> This is not a simple request, as I learned when I tried building it  for
>> Alpha.  There are dependencies on dependencies, plus you have to  have a
>> current Java development kit.  Which Sun has not releASEed the source
>> code for and has not ported to Alpha since something like JDK 1.3.  (I
>> hear there is a work-around but it could be gossip)
>

> I seem to recall that the newer builds of OpenOffice are quite happy
> using GCJ for their Java requirements, instead of Sun's JDK. This
> shouldn't be an issue. The big stumbling block in the past was the
> huge amount of non 64-bit clean code, which is why 64-bit x86 and PPC
> platforms still run a version compiled for their 32-bit counterparts
> - or they did, last time I checked.
>
> I haven't looked at OO for over a year now, but I remember discussing
> it with someone once and getting the idea that getting it running
> using dynamic x86 emulation might be quicker. :)

I tried to play with it recently. OO happily uses GCJ java, but still
not 64-bit clean yet. There is still huge 64-bit patch pending from
amd64 porting project. They were going to split it into smaller parts
and try to integrate... After it is done - we still would need to write
some kind of
trampoline code.

Regards,

--