General stuff.. DS3000

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Feb 24 16:57:04 UTC 2007

heviarti at puresimplicity.net wrote:

>  So, after a long hiatus, I'm back.
>
> Someone off the list was so kind as to send me a set of slackware
>official disks, plus some beef up packages. I installed them on my
>Digital Server 3000. The install worked, but X seems to be broke on S3
>(?!) Tried compiling xorg 6.9. filed bug #7700. I then found out the sed
>included with the disto was zero size.  Yesterday I finally got sed
>working. so, I tried xorg again, and it got much further than it had
>before. Compile died during the mesa stuff. I disabled that, and now it's
>barfing on fontconfig ( I can post a log if anyone wants to suggest a
>fix...)
>
>... stuff deleted ...
>
> and finally alphaslack  www.alphaslack.de  has anyone tried this? does it
>run, and run well? is there anything really broke on it?
>
> Buck Rekow

I still run Slackware on my primary get-things-done (boaring) Intel box.
I don't really see any reason to change.

I hang out here because this is where Alpha gets discussed. This is a
polite group where being a little off topic doesn't get you flames. I've
seen VMS questions answered and Solaris discussed here. We're unlikly to
"catch it" for talking a little slack in moderation from time to time.

I currently run the last (never completed) Alpha Slackware downloaded
from the Slackware site just before the project was canceled. Somewhere
allong the line, when newer Slackware versions came out, I thought it
would be interesting and usefull to recompile for Alpha. I discovered
that a while great many packages would rebuild cleanly with at most
minor tweaks, some wouldn't. So I got bogged down in some
chicken-and-egg patch hunting trying to rebuild the tool chain. I did,
once, send a set of CDs of what I had to somebody on this list.

I dabbled for a while with Linux-From-Scratch on the AS200, there is a
bunch of good info there on how they solved chicken-and-egg problems. I
thought I might use their toolchain to rebuild Slackware but I got
bogged down trying to get glibc rebuilt and got distracted by other things.

This gives me a lot of respect for for the folks who actually pulled off AC.

I have been thinking about blowing the dust off this project. My most
recent plan to rebuild Slackware was to install AC and use that as  a
build platform. Perhaps I'll look into www.alphaslack.de instead. I
hadn't stumbled onto it yet.

Ultimatly I'd like to make slackware generaly portable. Most of the
packages in a standard release version compile cleanly, with minor
tweaks to the build scripts, on Alpha, SPARC and PPC. There are
independent porting/maintenance efforts for the different archetectures.
I'm thinking that "make it portable" is a better goal than "porting it
to platform X".