Torrents galore...but has anyone actually tried it?

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:07:34 UTC 2007

On 3/7/07, Sergey Tikhonov <tsv at solvo.ru> wrote:
> Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> >
> >> So, one can now download AC3 in record time, but how does it
> >> actually work on your Alphas?
> >

> > Oh, you want a _working_ distro? What a demanding guy :-)
>
> Yea, I would love to have some feedback too. :) It would be very nice to
> know that it is really used by someone. :)
>

> > When I get enough round tuits (probably next weekend), I will try
> > installing it on my UP2000+ and let you know.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Regards,
>
> --
> Sergey Tikhonov

I downloaded the whole thing, and have it now running on my Alpha
DS10.  What now seem like minor obstacles made it a 1.5-day project
rather than the two or three hours that it should have been.  One
should emphasize the necessity for a BSD disk label on the system
disk, and the necessity to delete partition "c" before letting
DiskDruid get its hands on the disk.

There seems to be no way to do a text-mode install, and the
graphic-mode defaults to a resolution of 800x600, which my elderly LCD
monitor does not support.  It does only 1280x1024 and 640x480.  Works
fine in text mode.

So I had to bring back a large old CRT monitor.  Then I had to find
the driver for the "glint" graphics card amongst all the .rpm files on
the 4 CDs.

All runs well, especially since I copied all of the files from the RPM
directories on the CDs to /usr/local/RPM.  I installed a most
important piece of software, namely "mlocate", and will be using
"createrepo" to try YUM installs from the local directory.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu