Alpha Core 3 on XP 1000/Glint driver?

Jon_norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Tue Mar 13 23:09:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:35 +0100, Balint Cristian wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 16:21, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> > Sergey & Cristian,
> >
> > thanks for the hints.  I have a bunch of CD drives, including SCSI.  Same
> > thing happened way back, installing RH 7.1 from factory stamped CDs.
> >
> > An 8X Cd  drive did the job that time.  I'll try some of those tricks.
>
>  Personaly i bought for ~30USD an old caddysh plextor and an old 4x writer
> scsi-matsushita unit.
> Those never failed anymore, indeed those are _really_ good quality units !
>
>   My PWS Miata camed equiped with lite-on IDE wich from my experience is a sucky sh*t, even
> if its brand new ...
>
> /cristian

To the list:

Text install failed in the same way as graphic.  I did then change to my
old Sony 8x CDrom drive and got a clean graphical install, first time.
I wasn't really able to see what I got with the default installs - the
Xserver wouldn't load, apparently the install did not pick up the Glint
driver for my 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 card.

I'll either swap out for a Radeon or muck around and see if the driver
is in there, or maybe copy it over from my AC2 install on the same
machine.

My thought is that CD drives, especially IDE or ATAPI are pretty
marginal when it comes to transferring large amounts of data error free.
Don't feel too bad, Sergei & guys, your disks are still as good as the
official Red Hat 7.1 boxed set.

My choice would be something like a Pioneer/Siemens magneto-optical
drive on a wide ultra 80 SCSI bus. Those things are scarce and costly,
though.  The cartridges alone are $150 each.  But they are accurate.

Once I get a working Xserver, I may try to download stuff via YUM.  Over
a dial-up connection.

Thanks for all you work, guys!

jon