Alpha Core 3 on XP 1000/Glint driver?

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Mar 14 06:40:43 UTC 2007

Jon_norstog wrote:

>On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:35 +0100, Balint Cristian wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 13 March 2007 16:21, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
>>

>>>Sergey & Cristian,
>>>
>>>thanks for the hints.  I have a bunch of CD drives, including SCSI.  Same
>>>thing happened way back, installing RH 7.1 from factory stamped CDs.
>>>
>>>An 8X Cd  drive did the job that time.  I'll try some of those tricks.
>>>

>> Personaly i bought for ~30USD an old caddysh plextor and an old 4x writer
>>scsi-matsushita unit.
>>Those never failed anymore, indeed those are _really_ good quality units !
>>
>>  My PWS Miata camed equiped with lite-on IDE wich from my experience is a sucky sh*t, even
>>if its brand new ...
>>
>>/cristian
>>

>To the list:
>
>Text install failed in the same way as graphic.  I did then change to my
>old Sony 8x CDrom drive and got a clean graphical install, first time.
>I wasn't really able to see what I got with the default installs - the
>Xserver wouldn't load, apparently the install did not pick up the Glint
>driver for my 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 card.
>
>I'll either swap out for a Radeon or muck around and see if the driver
>is in there, or maybe copy it over from my AC2 install on the same
>machine.

The xorg-glint driver is on CDs. Like I said before, I was expecting the
detection of video card and installing the proper xorg driver to be arch
independent. I was wrong. Unfortunatelly, the installer itself is hard
to debug (or I didn't understand how to do it in easier way) so I left
this part to manual installtion.

>My thought is that CD drives, especially IDE or ATAPI are pretty
>marginal when it comes to transferring large amounts of data error free.
>Don't feel too bad, Sergei & guys, your disks are still as good as the
>official Red Hat 7.1 boxed set.
>
>My choice would be something like a Pioneer/Siemens magneto-optical
>drive on a wide ultra 80 SCSI bus. Those things are scarce and costly,
>though.  The cartridges alone are $150 each.  But they are accurate.
>
>Once I get a working Xserver, I may try to download stuff via YUM.  Over
>a dial-up connection.

You could setup local yum repository and there will be no need to
download (except for new updated pacckages).

>Thanks for all you work, guys!

Thank you,

--
Sergey Tikhonov