Library needs help! AlphaCompaq DS20E

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Oct 29 09:37:43 UTC 2007

On 10/28/2007 03:35 PM, Shawn E. Romine wrote:
> If there is a better place to ask this question, please feel free to send me some links.
>
> I am the computer tech at a library and we have a Compaq Alpha DS20e that we have put linux on.....yesterday
> opened up the case to take a look inside (it probably had never been
opened before)
> and when I put everything back together, it wouldnt turn on!
>
> I read that the Alpha DS20E does have some kind of sensor so that if the cover
> isnt on, the power will not come on.....the side cover was hard coming
> off and hard to put back on.....when i plug the ac power in, i
> do see a green light within the system.....
>
> is there a way to disable this sensor, or can someone give me a few
> sentences on how this interlocking sensor works.....i cannot see
> how it interlocks or works and amybe a few sentences on
> how this works might help......
>
> thanks, desperate for any help you can provide.....

It's not a "sensor". It's simply a micro-switch that is pressed, when
the cover is closed correctly. There is a 'nipple' at the cover that
pushes this micro switch. If you find it on the cover, you should be
able to locate the switch easily :-) And what you have to do then is
clear, isn't it? Simply bypass it...

Best,
 Oliver