FC8 experience

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Tue Apr 15 21:11:34 UTC 2008

Answers:

1. sysrq-b

   sysrq-b is modified in arch/alpha/kernel/setup.c:setup_arch();
   it is changed to machine_halt instead of the default machine_restart

   I don't know the source of that patch; I don't remember doing it, or
   seeing it put in. Perhaps it's because Ctrl-Alt-Delete already exists
   to do a (graceful) reboot instead, though that's NOT a SYSRQ...

   Sorry, maybe someone else knows... ???

2 and 3. shutdown [-h|-r]

   "It works on my machine"... ;-}

   I've just done MANY shutdowns, both -h and -r, and they do the
   right things on all I can remember, except perhaps my UP1100.
   Notice anything different there? ;-}

   "Power off" is a message issued when going down a different path
   from the normal SRM halting; I can't think of why it'd do that on
   UP2000+ and not others... ???

4. HW-accel xvideo in modular MGA driver

   I don't know much about that one; looking at the changelog for that
   driver doesn't show anything pertinent, IMHO. You'll have to inquire
   elsewhere (freedesktop.org?).

   BTW, is it only on Alpha that you think the HW-accel xvideo is bust?

Thanks for the feedback!

--Jay++