six beeps from a 164LX machine

Kazuyoshi Furutaka furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Tue Dec 2 13:44:20 UTC 2008

Hi all,

From: bob smith <sfmc68 at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: six beeps from a 164LX machine
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:14:42 -0500

From: John Grzesiak <johng at pcrd.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:49:04 -0500

> As you are doing that, you might consider doing a good cleaning of
> the slots and
> all the chips on the board. A nice soft house-painters brush and a
> can
> compressed air are my tools for that. It's not commonly known that
> dust can
> conduct current when the conditions are right and there is enough of
> it.
> I have seen cases where dust has changed the resistance on address
> pins enough
> to cause crashes and other mis-behavior. A good cleaning and the
> system went on
> for years...

Bob, John, thank you very much for your advices.
This evening, after work, I went to a local PC shop
and bought a few cans of dust blower (compressed gas)
and cleaned M/B as well as memories.
Also, all memories and expansion cards were removed
and inserted back...
After the operation, the six beeps went away and
now I can see SRM...