My lucky day/Glint?

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Feb 1 14:11:41 UTC 2008

Hi, Jon,

1. The "glint" driver, along with all the other "specialized"
   VGA drivers, is NOT on the current test ISO. The "vesa" driver
   appears to work reasonably, on Radeon and Permedia cards I've
   tried, though there's not much acceleration.

2. You should add a "monitor" section to the xorg.conf that accurately
   reflects your attached monitor.

3. You can download the specific drivers via "yum" from the Austrian
   repository:

    http://buildsys.zero42.at/mash/f8/alpha/os

   If you are using a recent test ISO, that may already be set up
   in /etc/yum.repo.d/alphacore.repo.

4. The following are the common drivers for PCI cards in Alphas:

   xorg-x11-drv-ati        # Radeon etc
   xorg-x11-drv-glint      # Permedia 2 and 3
   xorg-x11-drv-mga        # Matrox millennium etc
   xorg-x11-drv-s3*        # S3 and S3ViRGe
   xorg-x11-drv-tdfx       # 3DFx Voodoo3 etc

5. "konquerer" comes on the ISO, but "firefox" is available in the repo.

6. Use the repo to install "pirut", the GUI software package installer.

Enjoy!

--Jay++