Looking to buy a UP1500

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 02:20:34 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:25:21 -0400
> From: "Matt Turner" <mattst88 at gmail.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy an Alpha that is a bit quieter than my screaming
> DS20L. I'd like to buy a UP1500, as it has an AGP and also uses DDR
> RAM.
>
> If someone can provide benchmarks comparing this box to other API
> systems (UP1100, UP2000, UP2000+) I'd be much appreciative. If I'm
> totally unable to find a UP1500, I'd consider a UP1100 or UP2000[+].
>
> Please let me know if you have one that I may be able to part from you.
>
> Matt

Matt,

I have a UP2000 that I might be willing to part with, but
it's pretty noisy, and shipping it would consume a
considerable fraction of the machine's monetary value.  My
UP2K has only one CPU at 667MHz, and it benchmarked at
one-third the speed of the machine I built in 2003 with a
2.4GHz Pentium 4 "A" and a memory frequency of 266MHz on an
Iwill P4ES motherboard.  If you are interested in speed,
this Alpha's not going to stand up against more modern
machines.  I love the Alpha and the machine, but it's just
not a speed demon any more.  The UP2K motherboard was
repaired, has frequent correctible ECC machine checks, and
must be powered up and _then_ reset to get into SRM, so it
may have hardware reliability issues.  If you're near enough
to the Portland, Oregon area to come pick it up and want it,
let's talk.

Robert Riches
rm.riches at verizon.net