Max. memory on 164LX

Juhana Helovuo juhe at iki.fi
Mon May 5 14:01:41 UTC 2008

axp-list-request at redhat.com kirjoitti:

> Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 10:24:10 -0600
> From: Maurice Hilarius <maurice at harddata.com>
> Subject: Re: Max. memory on 164LX

> It has little to do with that.
> The tricky things are:
> 100MHz, Registered  ECC memory.
> Faster will not likely work.
> The memory clock o this board is actually 83MHz.

I think it is not an issue of clock frequency here. According to
Kingston datasheets, the memory clock cycle time for e.g.
KVR133X72C3/256 must be in the range 7.5 - 1000 ns, which translates to
1.0 - 133.3 MHz frequency. The 83 MHz used by the 164LX falls nicely
within this range.

> From: <furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
> Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 04:41:25 AKDT
[...]
> How about 128MB DIMMs?

I have not tested these, but my educated guess is that the problem with
some 256MB modules is that they are built from 9 x 256Mbit chips and the
memory controller on the 164LX only understands individual RAM chips up
to 128Mbit.

The Kingston PC100-256MB module is built from 18 x 128Mbit chips and
works, wheras the newer PC133-256MB module is built from 9 x 256 Mbit
chips and is not recognized at all.

If my guess is correct, then 128MB DIMMS with either 9 x 128Mbit chips
or 18 x 64Mbit chips should work. In any case, the memory must be 72
bits wide and *not* registered, as many people have pointed out in

Please tell us, if you get some exprimental results.

Best regards,
Juhana Helovuo