Max. memory on 164LX

furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Mon May 5 14:24:58 UTC 2008

> > From: <furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
> > Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 04:41:25 AKDT
> [...]
> >
> > How about 128MB DIMMs?
>
> I have not tested these, but my educated guess is that the problem with
> some 256MB modules is that they are built from 9 x 256Mbit chips and the
> memory controller on the 164LX only understands individual RAM chips up
> to 128Mbit.
>
> The Kingston PC100-256MB module is built from 18 x 128Mbit chips and
> works, wheras the newer PC133-256MB module is built from 9 x 256 Mbit
> chips and is not recognized at all.
>
> If my guess is correct, then 128MB DIMMS with either 9 x 128Mbit chips
> or 18 x 64Mbit chips should work. In any case, the memory must be 72
> bits wide and *not* registered, as many people have pointed out in
>
> Please tell us, if you get some exprimental results.

Well, I've installed four 128MB DIMMs on a 164LX machine and it was running
(not for a long period) without any troubles; the memory modules are said to be
"PC100MHz Registered ECC 168Pin SDRAM" by the seller.
Now I'm away from home.  After coming back to my home I'll take a look at them.

Are there any ways to know model numbers of installed memory modules without
opening housings, i.e. with some kinds of softwares (which run on, of course, linux)
or firmwares (e.g. SRM)?

Yours,
Kazuyoshi